Benefits of Membership
Becoming a member of UPA has several benefits. Some of them are:
- Education - UPA in association with the Paralegal Division of the Utah State Bar provides continuing legal education to members of both organizations. This is a great way for members to keep and update their skills. UPA also arranges for and informs its members of additional relevant opportunities for education with other organizations.
- Discounts - Members of UPA, who are not NALA members, receive waiver of their $15.00 NALA initiation fee should they decide to become NALA members.
- Job Bank - UPA receives information about employment opportunities in the legal field from law firms, members, and other organizations. UPA forwards these to the membership.
- Networking - Attending continuing legal education sessions and membership meetings is a great way to meet others employed in the legal field.
- Volunteerism Opportunities - UPA engages in charitable work, such as the Wills for Heroes program.
Available membership types are summarized below. Please consult UPA by-laws for more detailed membership criteria. Please note that most types of membership carry obligations such as initiation fee, annual dues, and education requirements.
- Active Member - Available to individuals who completed accredited course of study, passed NALA's Certified Paralegal examination, or meet criteria combining education and experience as attested by their supervising attorney. Active members pay annual dues of sixty dollars ($60) in their first year of membership and fifty-five dollars ($55) every year thereafter. Active members must complete six hours of continuing legal education a year.
- Associate Member - Available to those who are working towards meeting criteria to become an Active Member or those working in the legal field who promote the paralegal profession. Associate members pay annual dues of thirty-five dollars ($35).
- Student Member - Available to students in good standing within any program of study for paralegals. Student Members pay annual dues of twenty dollars ($20).
- Sustaining Member - Available to any person, law firm, association, or legal assistant program which promotes the paralegal profession. Sustaining members pay annual dues of one hundred dollars ($100).
- Honorary Member - Granted by a vote of UPA membership to a person who endorses the paralegal profession.
Prospective members' dues may be prorated if they are admitted sufficiently late in a given membership year.
Please use the forms in this section to apply for membership with UPA, renew your membership, update your membership information, or to apply to serve on a committee of the Board of Directors. Unfortunately due to the UPA by-laws we are not permitted to process these forms electronically. Please download the correct form below, follow the instructions on the form to fill it out and submit the form to the UPA.